Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 418B with cast frame?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member GlennWray's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2006
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, this is my first post. Nice place, a lot of good information.

    I've been trying to learn something about Altec speakers which would be suitable for guitar and it looks like the 418B is the 15" speaker I'd like to try since later versions of the 418 would probably be too clean for my tastes.

    From what I've seen on this site the 418B is shown in the '68 and '72 catalogs with a stamped frame and a screw-on cover for the magnet. The '75 catalog showing the 418-8C and 418-8H II says "our new 15-inch speakers have all new cast aluminum frames". One in the picture definately doesn't have a magnet cover and the other is more of a cone photo so you can't really tell.

    This is where I'm confused. There's a speaker for sale as a 418B, but it has the cast frame, which looks like it might be the 16" OD frame (has a gasket for front mounting too). And it has the magnet cover with a sticker which says 418B. This doesn't add up. From what I've read the cast frames were introduced in '75, and there was no 418B in '75.

    Could this be a transitional speaker made by Altec to use remaining 418B parts with the new 418-8C parts and cast frame?

    Anyone know when the 418B was discontinued and the 418-8C introduced? I'd guess '74-'75.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member GlennWray's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2006
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks a lot, that helps explain things. I was confusing the earlier cast frame for a stamped one. So it's very possible, maybe likely, that later 418Bs could have the newer cast frame.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    418B with cast frame?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I have seen hundreds of 418's and NEVER have I seen one with a stamped frame. The new frames were heavier and larger and facilitated front mounting. They were phased in, and it is possible older versions can show up with newer frames.

    I suspect you are mistaking the older cast frame for a stamped one.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member GlennWray's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2006
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I bought it and am looking forward to trying it out.

    I'm going to build a cabinet to hold two 10s and one 15. It'll be like two cabs built together with the top of one being the bottom of the other using the old Sunn 2000S rear loaded folded horn design, 24 1/2" x 33 1/2". That's as small as I could get it. I think I've read on this site that some of the newer Altec speaker frames are a little larger than most and will wait for it to arrive before starting the cab since the way it's planned now only allows 15 3/4" top to bottom for the speaker.

    I'll try it out by itself at first. Since it can handle 100 watts that might be all that's necessary.

    Thanks again for the help.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member GlennWray's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2006
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hooked it up today and thought I'd follow up. It sounds great, I was very pleased...not sterile sounding like EV ceramic speakers. It does have the 16" dia frame. It's so pretty I hate to hide it in a cabinet.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    418B with cast frame?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The 418 is indeed a nice speaker. Used to be a favorite among Nashville session players. Spent some time down there back inmy younger days, I wanted to see if studio work was to my liking. Made a lot less money than live, so I gave it up an went back to touring.
    Probably the best pedal steel speaker I have ever heard.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.